Hello and welcome
I’m Judy Rees, an author, speaker, consultant, trainer and coach based in London, UK.
These are some of the things I help people and organisations to do:
- Make learning, feedback and development inevitable
- Develop what you know: discover what you don’t
- Accelerate collaboration in diverse, distributed networks
- Feel better understood, while understanding others more deeply
- Create effective spaces for creativity and innovation
- Handle the realities of complexity, uncertainty and not-knowing.
I’m known worldwide as a practical implementer of an inquiry methodology called Clean Language, and I’m the co-author of the bestselling book on the topic, Clean Language: Revealing Metaphors and Opening Minds. My work to develop more effective communication across distributed groups began as one of these implementations: one-on-one coaching over Skype and Zoom is another. I also teach practical Clean Language skills to Agile coaches and other business change agents.
A former journalist and media executive based in London, UK, I hold a European Media Masters degree and I’m a Fellow and Fellowship Councillor of the RSA (Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce).
As a news journalist in the 1990s, I managing people I’d never actually met well before the internet was born – newsgathering has always been a “virtual” occupation. Later, as Executive Editor of Teletext, I had a ringside seat as the web, digital television and mobile technologies emerged. I was also an early adopter of social media, back in the days when the UK led that field.
I worked closely with pioneering technologists to find ways of delivering time-critical information services using the new platforms, and gained a Masters degree in Media Technology Administration at the height of the dotcom boom.
Ten years ago I switched careers to become a freelance consultant, trainer and coach – one of the first to deliver her services via phone conference calls, webinars and, more recently, live video classrooms.
I’m not a software trainer. Instead, my focus is on the “soft skills” that underpin effective communication, collaboration and creativity – and in that field I’ve earned a reputation as a global thought leader.
I help to develop collaborative groups, teams and networks remotely, usually over video conference calls. I love it when colleagues make real connections with each other. It’s like turning the lights on so that they finally see each other!
I also coach people around the world, via Zoom or Skype, and organise online unconferences – events based on open space facilitation, which combine easily-available tech to make creative spaces.
Clean Language: What’s That All About?
And below are some relevant videos:
Training And Qualifications
My qualifications include:
- MA in Media Technology Administration (with Distinction) from London College of Communication (formerly London College of Printing, now part of the University of the Arts London)
- Project Management qualification from Open University
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- Certified Agile Leader (CAL1)
- NLP Master Practitioner
- Certified Clean Facilitator
- 100 wpm shorthand!