Hello and welcome
I’m Judy Rees, an author, speaker, consultant, trainer and coach based in London, UK.
These are some of the things I help people and organisations to do:
- Accelerate collaboration in diverse, distributed networks
- Create effective online communities for creativity and innovation
- Handle the realities of complexity, uncertainty and not-knowing
- Get people talking to each other – including having tricky conversations across boundaries
- Facilitate meetings, workshops and training events that deliver, whether in-person or remotely.
I’m known worldwide as a practical implementer of an inquiry methodology called Clean Language, and I’m the co-author of the bestselling book on the topic, Clean Language: Revealing Metaphors and Opening Minds. My work to develop more effective communication across distributed groups began as one of these implementations: one-on-one coaching over Skype and Zoom is another. I also teach practical Clean Language skills to Agile coaches and other business change agents.
A former journalist and media executive based in London, UK, I hold a European Media Masters degree and I’m a Fellow and past Fellowship Councillor of the RSA (Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce).
As a news journalist in the 1990s, I managing people I’d never actually met well before the internet was born – newsgathering has always been a “virtual” occupation. Later, as Executive Editor of Teletext, I had a ringside seat as the web, digital television and mobile technologies emerged. I was also an early adopter of social media, back in the days when the UK led that field.
I worked closely with pioneering technologists to find ways of delivering time-critical information services using the new platforms, and gained a Masters degree in Media Technology Administration at the height of the dotcom boom.
Ten years ago I switched careers to become a consultant, trainer and coach – one of the first to deliver her services via phone conference calls, webinars and, more recently, live video classrooms.
My focus is on the skills that underpin effective communication, collaboration and creativity – the skills that used to be known as “soft skills” but which are increasingly recognised as pretty hard! In that field I’ve earned a reputation as a global thought leader, often speaking at major conferences.
I help to develop collaborative groups, teams and networks remotely, usually over video conference calls. I love it when colleagues make real connections with each other. It’s like turning the lights on so that they finally see each other!
I also coach people around the world, via Zoom or Skype, and organise online unconferences – events based on open space facilitation, which combine easily-available tech to make creative spaces.
Clean Language: What’s That All About?
Let me share some resources.
- Here’s my free, downloadable ebook.
- Here’s a recent blog post.
- Here’s one on the trainers’ site, Businessballs.
And below are some relevant videos:
Training And Qualifications
My qualifications include:
- MA in Media Technology Administration (with Distinction) from London College of Communication (formerly London College of Printing, now part of the University of the Arts London)
- Project Management qualification from Open University
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- Certified Agile Leader (CAL1)
- NLP Master Practitioner
- Certified Clean Facilitator (and Certifier of Clean Facilitators)
- 100 wpm shorthand!